25. mars 2016

Crochet Easter Egg - pattern

Crochet Easter eggs

I am a handicrafter and put my heart and soul into my work (as the name of the blog in Icelandic refers to). Many years ago I painted and decorated some eggs that I blew out of for Easter. You can see photos of them here. I wanted to try to crochet some and I found a couple of patterns on Ravelry that I tried (I will blog about later) but I wanted to make my own pattern and it's similar to the shell jar pattern.

Crochet Easter egg cozy

I was very happy with the results and decided to do another egg and write down the pattern to give to my readers for celebrating Easter :) I found out that eggs are very different in size and the later one was larger than the first one. Therefore you might need to adjust the pattern to fit your egg.

Crochet Easter Egg - free pattern


Crochet Easter Egg

Please don’t distribute the pattern itself, but feel welcome to share the link to the pattern as you like.

Materials:
1,5 mm hook,
size 10 crochet yarn,
1 hen's egg (not boiled).

Abbreviations (US terms):
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch,
sc = single crochet,
dc = double crochet,
sp = space,
st = stitch,
sk = skip,
rnd = round,
hdc2tog = half double crochet 2 stitches together (decrease: insert hook into st, pull up a loop, YO, insert hook into next st, pull up a loop, YO, pull through all 4 loops on hook).

Notice, do ch 3 instead of dc at the beginning of each row.

Instructions:
Wash and wipe the egg. With a sharp needle or pin make a hole on the wider (bottom) end of the egg about 2-3 mm wide. Make another smaller hole on the top of the egg. Please be careful so there wont be any cracks in the eggshell,  if it happens then you will get everything in your face when you start blowing. Blow into the smaller hole and get the egg white and yolk out. Wash well and let dry.

When it's dry then you can start crocheting but you need to handle it with care so it won't crack :) You can paint it before if you like or use different color of yarn than the egg is. I used a big brown free range egg (barn egg) and white crochet yarn.

Crocheting an egg cozy:
Make a magic circle (ring).
Round 1: 20 dc in the ring. Pull magic circle but not too tight, sl st in first dc.
Round 2: *dc, ch 1, sk next st, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next st, ch 1, sk next st*, repeat between * * 4 times more, sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 3 (total 5 shells and 5 dc). Pull magic circle tight.
Round 3: *dc in last rnd dc, ch 2, (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in sp between dc groups, ch 2*, repeat between * * around, sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 3.
Round 4: *dc, ch 2, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in sp between dc groups, ch 2*,  repeat between * * around, sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 3.
Round 5: *dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in sp between dc groups, ch 3*,  repeat between * * around, sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 3.
Round 6: like rnd 4.
Round 7: like rnd 4 (you might need to sk this rnd if your egg is smaller).
Round 8: *dc, ch 1,  (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in sp between dc groups, ch 1*,  repeat between * * around, sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 3.
Round 9: like rnd 8 (you might need to sk this rnd if your egg is smaller).
Round 10: like rnd 2. I needed to put my egg into the cozy before I finished this rnd. You can also weave in your starting end before putting it in.
Round 11: *dc in next dc, ch 2, sc in sp between dc groups, ch 2*, repeat between * * around, sl st in 3rd ch of starting ch 3.
Round 12: ch 1, *2 sc in next ch 2 sp, sk next st*, repeat between * * around, sl st in starting ch.
Round 13: ch 1, hdc2tog around. I finish with ch 2 or 3 and sl st in st across the gap but I use this to attach a ribbon to it so I can hang the egg on a branch. Fasten off and weave in the end.

© Ólöf Lilja Eyþórsdóttir - you may not copy this pattern in any way (for example translating) without my permission.

Here is a link to the pattern for those who are using Ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easter-egg-15


Crochet Easter eggs

0 comments:

Skrifa ummæli